And why haven't we seen Harry Potter yet? Simple: I want a camera. Sacrifices must be made.
Though the $40 we would spend on movie tickets and a sitter is only a scratch in the surface of what I plan to spend on my camera (or more accurately, what Jon plans to spend, since this will be my birthday present), every dollar counts when one is determined to avoid all unnecessary debt as we are. Thus, we've cut back our food budget, delayed some necessary though not urgent purchases, hunted for bargains, and yes, denied ourselves from seeing HP6 on the big screen (*sniff*).
But it is all for a good cause. I want a new camera almost as much as I want to breathe. I can almost taste it. I am excited to have the means to take higher quality pictures and work toward my goal of starting my own custom photography free-lance style business.
My only problem is it's decision time, and I haven't picked my camera. I've narrowed it down to three options and am now asking for your help.
(*price indicates the lowest price I've been able to find it online, not the manufacturer's price which is at least $100 more for all three.)
My friend, the Joo, highly recommended the Panasonic Lumix LX3 as an entry level camera. The proof of image quality is on her blog.
Pros:
- high-end point & shoot
- compact
- high quality images as far as point-shoot-go
- lots of manual SLR-like controls
- image stabilizer
- easy to use
- great for the plethora of everyday shots I take of my kids, but also can be used for more formal shots
- can add filters, telephoto lens
- ability to shoot in raw (though I hear the included software isn't very good) or jpeg formats
Cons:
- can't change lenses
- not as high quality as a true DSLR
- there seems to be a manufacture shortage currently; most distributors are on back order. Dell (the cheapest place I can get one with my husband's discount) has it listed at "usually ships within 3-5 weeks," which means I'd definitely not get it by my birthday and wouldn't be able to bring it on the vacations we are taking later this month.
- have to buy a new camera when I wanted to upgrade (something I'd be willing to do, but it would mean more saving . . .)
My friend Laura of Laura's Photography uses and recommends a Canon Rebel, though she didn't specify which one. CNET rates the XS models over the XT models, declaring the XS models a worthy upgrade.
Pros:
- Highly rated entry-level DSLR
- Ability to change lens; as I improve, I'll be able to improve my camera without buying a new body
- Potential to create better images than I could with a point & shoot
- live view shooting
- bulky
- image stabilizer built into lenses and not built into camera (=higher cost on lenses in the long run)
- not as convenient for everyday casual use
- I'd have a lot to learn before I could use it well
- doesn't include a spot meter, which seems (according to my limited SLR knowledge) a cool feature to have
Pros:
Same as the XS, plus:
- large LCD screen (3 inches)
- more ability to crop (I like that)
- has a spot meter
- the kit seems pretty handy (case, 2GB SD card, cleaning supplies, full length and table tripods, flash, etc.; doesn't include filters though)
Same as the XS, plus:
- more expensive. We wouldn't go into debt to get it, but we would have to *borrow* from ourselves, which would mean the tighter budget would stick around for awhile longer.
So what do you think, my friends? Which camera should an entry-level photographer like myself get? Which would you get? Or is there another camera entirely that you would recommend?
Your comments are greatly appreciated. And please hurry 'cause I don't have much time. :)


6 comments:
NIKON all the way!!!!!!!! A great one to start with is the Nikon D40. There are several places that offer nice packages (body plus a couple of lenses)
I wouldn't use anything else!
Hi Rebecca -- I'm in your MIL's ward, and she pointed me to your question.
I started out in photography just to take better pictures . . . but over the years it has evolved into a business . . . it's been wonderful.
Since you asked for advice, I'm going to give you my opinion . . . feel free to delete it and look the other way!
I would never invest money into a point and shoot if you hope to do much in the way of portraiture with a point and shoot. Though you can make adjustments to aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., you are limited the only lens that is on that camera. And while you *can* adjust those settings, the lens on a point and shoot will be limited by its specifications. So, while you are told you can adjust aperture, if the lens only has the ability to give you a maximum f-stop of 2.8, you are missing out on a TON of bokeh that you could get with a dSLR with removable lenses.
To address the dSLR with the cons of being expensive with add-on lenses and that IS would be in each lens . . . I actually despise IS lenses. You loose picture quality and an f-stop with an IS lens; it simply is not needed. I find you can capture much better shots by knowing how to set for the best shutter speed in your lighting situation than you could ever get by relying on an IS setting. It often will give you noise that is completely unnecessary. Simply put, faster shutter = crisper picture. You don't need a computer to do that for you.
There are inexpensive versions of many of the Canon lenses . . . for example, one of my favorite go-to lenses is the EF 50mm/f1.4. This retails about 395.00; however, you can get series below it which is 50mm/f1.8 for only 79.00. This lens alone is better than the kit lens that most of the Canon 300 or 400 series comes with.
As for which camera to buy, I'd actually go with the cheaper XS and use your money to buy a lens like the 50mm/1.8. It's all about that aperture setting -- and having the ability to go to 1.8 and let all that light in will bump up your shutter speeds and give you crisp pictures in low light settings. Adjust your ISO to be even more sensitive to light, and viola! Perfect settings for just about any situation.
I started my business with the XTi and 2 lenses. I firmly believe it is not the camera that ultimately gives you amazing images but the lenses. Save your money for the glass.
www.jessicaTphotography.com
I've heard good things about all of the above. I love my little lumix (thanks for the shout out), though I do hate that if I wanted to get REALLY into photography I'd definitely need something else. The biggest thing it lacks is an external flash- you can buy one that goes with it, but it is expensive and would only fit a lumix- not sure the investment would be worth it.
Becca, I don't know anything about cameras or photography, but I just wanted to let you know that HP6 is awesome and will be just as good if you only spend $1 at Redbox for it.
Also, if you have any good tips on being frugal, you should send them my way. :)
Mer - would you recommend the Nikon D40 over the D60?
Hi Becca, this is Mia. Just wanted to let you know that dealnews.com has factory refurbished Nikon D60 cameras for around $330.00 + free shipping. I have no clue if that is a good deal but just thought I would let you know.
Mia
Post a Comment