Last night, while Jon was at the Priesthood session of General Conference, James threw up, and continued to do so all night long. He also had a fever. It was heartbreaking to see one so young so sick. Jon slept in the hall next to the bathroom with James to comfort him and help him get to the toilet when needed.
During the night, Jon also gave James a Priesthood blessing. Before the blessing, Jon took the time to explain to James the nature of the blessing and to testify of God's love for him. James was blessed that he would heal quickly and that during the course of his illness he would feel the love of his parents and Savior.
Today, James still has a fever, but he has been able to keep down some fluids and the little food he was up to eating. He spent the day lying on the guest bed, watching Conference and taking naps. In a tender moment, for about a half hour, he let me hold him in my arms and run my fingers through his hair. At other times, he allowed Jon or me to cuddle up beside him and put our arm around him, stroke his back and hair, and kiss the top of his head. A feeling of love and peace permeated our home.
Now, at 7:00 PM, he has gone down to bed for the night. I expect that he will sleep soundly and arise tomorrow full of life and energy again. We know God hears our prayers. We can feel our little son's faith. Surely, the blessing he received is and will be fulfilled.
With James being so subdued today, we were better able to listen to General Conference. In writing that, please know that I would never wish my son sick, but in all trials come blessings to the faithful, and this trial was no exception. It was nice to be able to focus on the messages of Conference and to watch James lay there and do the same, or to see him slip into a much needed sleep. As we served him and his baby brother during the course of the Conference and the rest of the day, we had the peace and increase of spirit that comes from living our religion and not merely being spectators to it. Our service to our kids does not feel like a sacrifice, for the reward is pure love.
Of all the talks given in today's Conference sessions, my favorite was Elder Holland's talk on the atonement of Jesus Christ. He spoke with such reverence and love for the Savior of Mankind and bore such a powerful testimony of His divinity and ultimate sacrifice that I was struck to the core. I knew what he taught and bore witness to was true. I was reminded of the powerful testimony Elder Holland gave on the atonement on the video, Special Witnesses of Christ, and my reverence for Elder Holland as an apostolic witness of Jesus Christ increased.
I am grateful for the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Christ's true church restored to the earth. I am grateful for the Priesthood power that allows us to receive special blessings from our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the power of prayer--a power which is available to all people of all faiths. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to join with the Saints, now over 13 1/2 million strong worldwide, for two weekends of every year to hear the words of the Prophet and General Authorities and auxiliary leaders of the Church.
We are so blessed. I hope you feel the same. In the words of the beloved hymn sung at the close of this Conference, God be with you until we meet again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment