Last Saturday, I went with my husband to see Star Trek. He was skeptical that I would actually enjoy it since I've teased him about all the time he's spent googling the movie since it was announced and about all the Star Trek books he reads. However, I have many fond memories of watching the original Star Trek and the Next Generation series with my dad when I was a kid and I even saw Nemesis with him and liked it (from what I hear from my husband though, the DVD cut is different from what was released in theaters and it isn't as good). I expected I would like the new movie.What I didn't expect is how much I would like the movie. I loved it--much more than Twilight, which I dragged Jon to see with me last November and bought the day it came out on DVD. The special effects in Star Trek were amazing. I didn't feel like I was watching a blue screen like I feel with so many movies these days (especially any of George Lucas's). The storyline was imaginative, yet contained a comfortable amount of familiarity. The acting was believable, and I now have a new favorite Star Trek character, George Kirk (even if they did only give him 12 minutes of fame--what a powerful 12 minutes they were! He made me love my husband all the more because I knew he would make the same heroic sacrifice for me--though I pray it is never necessary.) Jon continues to favor Spock, and wasn't at all disappointed with the young Spock's take on the character.
The movie left the future wide open for sequels, and I must admit, I'd be excited to see them. (Though I'm still not interested in reading the books.)
Cox out.


No comments:
Post a Comment