Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mormon Messages: Hope Ya Know . . .

Today, while on the official web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, lds.org, I watched a video featuring a part of a talk by Elder Cook, one of the Twelve Apostles, entitled, "Hope Ya Know, We Had a Hard Time." Right now, I'm grateful to say that my life is going pretty well, but it hasn't always been, nor do I expect it to always be from now on. Like all of you, Adversity is a frequent companion of mine on this life's journey. Sometimes, it is my own doing, but other times there is no one to blame. Hard times happen to the good and the bad.

When Adversity knocks at my door, I find my greatest comfort in going to our Savior Jesus Christ in fervent prayer. At times when my pain or sorrow is great, I seek further light and understanding from Him through a Priesthood blessing. Temple worship also helps me draw closer to the Lord and find peace in Him. The pain doesn't go away all at once, but as I put my trust in His love for me and take His yoke upon me, little by little the healing does come.

One thing that struck me while watching the video was the response President Monson, Prophet and President of the Church, gave when asked on his birthday last August what would be the perfect gift that members worldwide could give him. Elder Cook relates that President Monson answered without a moment's hesitation, "Find someone who is having a hard time and do something for them." His request is something is not something I haven't heard before; serving others is a basic principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. King Benjamin, a Book of Mormon prophet, taught that "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17).

Thus, it wasn't because President Monson was teaching something new that his birthday request struck me. It was because for a few moments I imagined what it would be like if all 13.5 million members worldwide actually honored his request today by going out and serving someone who is having a hard time. What great influence for good the Saints would be able to have by living their religion in its purest! I reflected on myself--how am I doing in reaching beyond myself to help another?

As I reflected, the words of a hymn played in my mind,

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad, or made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed indeed.

("Have I Done Any Good?" Hymns 223.)

I know I do a lot each day to help my kids and my husband, but I know I could do more beyond that. I want to be the kind of person that my friends and family would feel comfortable coming to when they are having a hard time. I want to help. Hopefully, in sharing this message and my testimony here I will be able to help at least one person in need. Please let me know if there is anything else I could do.

Love,
Becca

No comments: