Friday, February 26, 2010

Cox Commentaries: Bright Star

Three weeks ago, for our date night, Jon and I rented Bright Star from Redbox. Neither of us had heard about it before (we don't get out to the movies much, and we don't have a TV, thus we rarely see movie trailers), but the description online sounded interesting.

The movie is based on the real life romance of romantic poet John Keats to his beloved Fanny. John, being poor and then unrecognized, can't possibly hope to marry. Fanny knows this, but Love doesn't care for such particulars.

The movie itself is like climbing into a delicious poem. As John Keats says in the film regarding poetry, the film is more meant to be experienced than understood. The scenes are brief, and may at first seem piecemeal and hard to follow, and I admit at first I wasn't sure how much I like it. But as the story began to unfold in all its beauty, my heart was most irrevocably won over. I'm not a big crier at movies, but I cried at this one.

In the weeks since viewing the film, my heart has only been more endeared to it--I haven't been able to stop thinking about it!--, and to John Keats and his poetry. For Valentine's Day, my Beloved gave me a book of love poems, in which I was delighted to find several of John Keat's poems. Such beauty! In reading them, I only want more to experience the movie again. And again. And again.


“'Bright Star' is rated PG (parental guidance suggested). It is perfectly chaste and insanely sexy." --New York Times


[Lots of new stuff on the family blog for those who are interested. :)]

2 comments:

Emily said...

Have you read "These is My Words"?

I think you'd like it.

Becca said...

I haven't! I just put a hold on it at the library. Thanks for the recommendation!