It was an exercise in self control, and a ploy to get off those holiday pounds and rid of those holiday cravings quickly and in a healthy matter. I stole the idea from my friend Heidi who does "No Junk for a Month January" every year. Since my baby's birthday is on January 2, and of course I am going to celebrate his birth with cake and ice cream (come on, that was work bringing him into the world! The party is as much for me as it is for him! Except no one gets me presents . . . what's up with that? Haha, guess I should think about getting my mom a gift on my birthday. anywho, tangent), I decided to adjust my "no junk" month a few days.
I loved the challenge! Sure, it was hard resisting cravings (especially with the chocolate cake still on the table), but it was also a little exhilarating. Every time I resisted, it was affirmation that I was ruling my cravings and not being ruled by them.
I still ate my fill of healthy food; I wasn't really "dieting" per say. Even without worrying about calories or portion size, I ended losing 6 lbs--partially due to eating healthier foods, partially do to good old fashioned exercise, and partially due to all the calories I burn from nursing two kids.
During the month, my energy and health food cravings increased, my junk food cravings decreased, and I felt pretty darn good about myself.
No junk for a month is definitely going to become a yearly tradition for me--and perhaps I'll do it again before the year is done. Think of it as a detox without consuming any scary and potentially harmful chemicals.
Today, however, I'm enjoying those Girl Scout cookies.


1 comment:
You're awesome! I agree about the feeling of accomplishment when you resist temptation. Such a good feeling! It's my favorite way to "diet." Forget about counting calories, just move a little (or a lot), get in some whole grains, fruits and veggies, and stay away from the junk.
Post a Comment