Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eight is Great (and other ages too :)

For about nine months last year, I got to teach the CTR 8 Primary class at Church. ("CTR" stands for "Choose the Right.") The class was made up of the boys and girls in the ward who would turn eight years old during the calender year. For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, eight is a very important birthday. According to modern day revelation, eight is the "age of accountability." Before eight, all children are innocent through the atonement of Christ and cannot sin. After eight, children are expected to have an understanding of right and wrong (if not, the sin is on the heads of the parents; see Doctrine and Covenants 68:25, 27), and therefore are capable of sinning, or willfully rebelling against God. Full repentance of sin requires a person to enter into a companionship with Christ through baptism. We believe that when a person has faith in Jesus Christ, repents of their sins, and is baptism by immersion and by the proper authority, their sins are washed away and they become innocent again. Since we all continue to sin to some degree, members of the Church receive the same washing of their sins each week as they worthily partake of the Sacrament and renew their baptismal covenants.

Once a person reaches the age of accountability, or eight years old, they can choose to be baptized. (If under 18, the child needs permission from their parents or guardian first.) As a primary teacher of a CTR 8 class, I got to witness many of my students reach their eighth birthday and make the choice to be baptized. I was able to go to a few of their baptisms and even speak at one of them. Watching them enter the waters and arise clean--born again in Christ--I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I knew God was pleased with the decision these children had made and that He loved them very much. I was grateful for the part I was blessed to play in helping prepare them for that day. As I was every time I got to teach them, I was filled with great love for these kids. The children retuned my love. They became my own.

September came around, and our Stake was reorganized. My family was moved into a different ward. I received a call into the Nursery, teaching and nurturing the children 18 months to 3 years old for two hours during Church, which I love. However, I still really miss my Primary kids. I am excited whenever I run into one of them, or hear something about them. One of my kids' mom has a blog, and I love whenever she posts anything about Matt. I get all warm and fuzzy inside. That's my boy! I think, and I beam with the pride of a parent at his accomplishments. I will have fond feelings for all my primary kids all my life--no matter how many times one of their parents tries to insist their kids aren't perfect (I can't count the number of times a mom has countered my statement of how wonderful her child is with "yes, but . . ."), to me they will always be great kids. I feel the same way about my Nursery kids and the 9-year-old Primary kids I got to teach the year before the CTR 8 class. Yet, having participated in such a pivotal part of their lives, there will always be a very special place in my heart for my CTR 8 kids. Hopefully, one day I'll get the call to teach a CTR 8 class again.

I truly am grateful for all the opportunities I get to work with children of all ages--in my home, at Church, among family, and among friends. I can't think of any greater calling than teaching God's children.

No comments: