Saturday, March 27, 2010

Operation Wardrobe Replacement

I need your help. I have been doing some shopping lately. Though I hate spending money, I love new clothes, and since I really do need new clothes because of all the weight I've lost over the past year, I've decided some spending is justified.

Today I hit JCPenney's Customer Appreciation Sale with my additional 15% off coupon. Husband was at the temple, so I had both boys with me. The first trip to the dressing room with them was tiresome (to put it mildly) and the clock was ticking for the doorbusters, so I just ended up quickly grabbing some things off the racks to try on at home. I spent more than I am comfortable with, so some things have to go back. And that's where you come in, dear reader. Help me decide what to keep!

(The clothing pieces in red are the ones I am debating whether to keep or not. The others are thrown in for your enjoyment.)

Outifts 1&2:
V-neck shirt: clearance+discount price, abt $10. Husband's favorite piece (he actually called it "awesome" when I showed it to him on me). Untucked, it reminds me of a maternity shirt, and since it is stretchy, if ever I decide to get pregnant again, I'll be able to wear it for such purpose.
White high-waisted sateen skirt with belt: sale price+discount, abt $18. The skirt is a satiny material, which is perhaps a little formal for me (no dressing it down), but I love the high waisted cut. Very figure flattering. My muffin top is completely cinched in. Wonderful. But I am not to fond of belt color, though it does go decently well with the shirt (there is some beige in the shirt; I don't know if you can tell from the pictures).
White capris: sale price+discount: about $14. Comes with belt (see picture below). I don't have ANY shorts or capris, so it is necessary I get some. I don't want to wear pants all summer! I like these.


Outfits 3&4:
Multi-colored smock top: sale+discount, abt $13. This one is fun, though I am debating about returning it because I only really planned on keeping one of the two stretchy shirts (this shirt could also work as a maternity top.) Originally I liked this one more, but husband's reaction to the other one is swaying me.
White capris: see above.
Coral scoop neck top & white lace-trim cami: bought last month at Charlotte Russe.
(*note, I am wearing to different shoes in the first picture to show that either will go.)


Outfits 5&6
Dark distressed skinny capris: sale+discount price, abt. $19. I like these, but husband thought one of the distressed marks was a stain and the capris needed washing. When I showed him it was really frayed denim, he then thought they needed fixing. I'm only thinking about returning them because of the price. I think I may be able to do better than $19. They weren't even half off, and JCPenney does lots of 50% off sales. Though, once returned, I might never find my size and color choice in stock again...
Stripped cardigan: from Charlotte Russe, acquired at same time as t-shirt and cami.

V-neck shirt: (same as in outfits 1&2.)
Black straight leg jeans: I had to include these because of the great deal I got--purchased last night at Kohls for, get this, $0.80. That's right--eighty cents. (On clearance for $10.80, and I had a $10 coupon [minimum purchase $10] that came in the mail. I love it when stores send me money.) I love these pants! I feel so skinny in them.

And check out those boots: purchased online from Charlotte Russe for abt $19 on clearance+extra 10% off. They are the highest shoes I've ever worn, and they have taken a bit to break in. I think I need some gel inserts to make them more comfortable, but as for style, I love them.

Outfit 7: Easter??

White corsage button-up shirt: sale+discount price, abt $15. I originally thought it was really cute, but seeing it in pictures, I'm not so sure about the puff sleeves.
White sateen skirt: (same as the one in outfit 1). I really wasn't a fan of the beige belt that came with the skirt for this outfit. The beige clashes with my skin. Thus, I got out my sparkley black sash and tried that on instead.

This is the outfit I am most unsure about. The whole ensemble seems too formal, even for Easter. I feel more like I am going to a wedding (I think it is the white satin, especially with the corsage). I do like the outfit, though I feel like my hair needs to be in a formal up-do, and let's face it: I suck at formal hairstyles. Since I don't absolutely love it, I think I'll take back the shirt at least. But what about the skirt? Is it cute enough in outfit 1 to keep? Or should I return it and search for a white denim pencil skirt that I can dress up or down? (and be more comfortable in?) Opinions, please! Don't worry about hurting my feelings if you hate it, tell me!

I also bought a dress straight off the rack because it looked so cute on the hanger and it had the necessary buttons to provide access to breastfeeding baby (don't want to have to strip down at church!). I thought it would make a great Easter dress. Unfortunately, it was not so cute on me. The sizing was all wrong; it looked frumpy, but a smaller size would probably be too small in the chest. Plus, the way it hit me at the hips, it looked like I had gained back that 20-25 pounds I worked so hard to lose. So, it's going back without regrets.

But back to those bolded-red clothing items. What should I keep? What should I return? (And yes, I really do need to return some.) Feedback, please!!!

3 comments:

heidi said...

becca, this will have to be quick because dinner is simmering, but i DO have so MUCH to say.
1. the white skirt is a keeper. don't let a satin finish scare you. it's easily dressed down. i wholeheartedly believe that it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. and it's easier to make a skirt more casual than to make a denim skirt more formal. and the belt is MY FAVORITE PART. of the WHOLE POST. really. a fantastic neutral that goes with everything. EVERYTHING.
2. if jon thinks something is awesome, take that seriously.
3. my favorite outfit is number 5. i love the use of color and i think the {veryslightly} distressed capris are VERY flattering. that make you look youthful without looking too young. and they are a nice dark rinse that will look great juxtaposed with the nude belt for a more polished look.
4. the black boots and 80 cent pants. SO GREAT. a little pain for a ton of beauty.
5. i think the puffed sleeves are adorable, but i would unbutton the top button. it looks too severe otherwise. and a white shirt? i'm the last person to tell you to take that back. it's universal. easily dressed up or down. church or play.
the end.
ps- i think the haircut is fun. fresh!
pps- too bad about the glasses. i too would have had to bum a ride. i hope contacts work out for you. i LOVE mine. i do have to spend a little more on the name brand solution though because my eyes are sensitive. but for me, i think it's worth it.
ppps- the worlds longest comment was just made on your blog.

Joanna said...

You're looking great in all of it. I am so impressed with what good shape you are in!

Tough decision with the clothes. If it were me, I would probably return the last outfit, even the great skirt. It seems like it's so formal that you wouldn't get a lot of use out of it. I would keep the things that you're going to be able to use a lot and feel good in.

Brooke said...

fun finds!
i love the white skirt. i say it's a keeper for sure. i also really like the white shirt...but...i don't like the two put together. i think it is that combo that makes it look too formal. i think a blue or yellow top go really well with a white skirt and would be really fun and summery as well.
i really also love that sweater from charlotte russe. cute find. the jean capris look really flattering on you, but if your husband isn't in love, i don't know. ask him again what he really thinks.
anyway-good luck. i think you look cute. great job on losing weight. i'm sure it wasn't easy to find time with two kids! you look great.