Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Week 9: Heading for a Restart


Today was rough. Short-tempered, cranky, I-just-want-to-sleep-but-my-kids-aren't-letting-me-nap-so-I-am-snacking-to-try-to-keep-up-energy-but-the-snacking-is-making-me-feel-sick-and-guilty-plus-I-am-painfully-sore-from-working-out rough.

I didn't get much sleep last night. In fact, I don't feel like I got any sleep. DH has been working late. Last night he didn't get home until after midnight, and I have a hard time sleeping when he's not home. Not that I'm scared--I just like to have my husband by my side at night. I was in bed, at least, by the time he got home, but it was sometime after he joined me, and only after the painkillers he got for me kicked in that I finally feel asleep. (I had a headache and was feeling sore even then. I must have not stretched long enough after my workout yesterday morning. My legs kill. I could hardly walk this morning.) A. woke up a few times to nurse in the middle of the night, also contributing to my lack of sleep, and since I hadn't slept much when he wanted to nurse, I didn't have all that much milk to give him.

But ranting aside, I want to officially declare tomorrow a "restart." Today I was off, but tomorrow I want to be back on track with my goals--beginning with (hopefully) a good night's sleep. DH is working late tonight, but I think I am going to take some pain relievers and a sleep aid, and try to make that 10:00 PM bedtime of mine. Hopefully my kids will be asleep by then. It's nearly 2 hours after their bedtime and J. just got out of bed and is telling me now how he doesn't want to sleep in his room, and I hear A. shaking the bars of his crib. Oh, dear.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I am the same way when Brandon's not there to sleep next to me. Maybe I'm weird, but on those nights I like to sleep on his pillow or hold it (I sleep with a body pillow pregnant or not) and for whatever reason that helps. :)

My mom also used to keep little things like smarties or jolly ranchers on hand for those days we were driving her nuts. It was a little bit of sugar, but not as much as a whole candy bar, plate of cookies...I think you're amazing!

Bonnie-Jean said...

:( Oh dear! I hope you feel better soon!

As for being sore here's what I do if you'd like to try:

While you're still warm hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds. Shower immediately after working out! If you can't, then exercise until you start to sweat again and then shower to wash away the excess lactic acid.
If the pain is really bothersome then take an Ibuprofen and always exercise the next day at least to the point where you're nice and warm and then stretch and shower again.

You can do it! I know you can! :D

Emily Gibbons said...

Wow it's good to know you feel like me! I agree with everything you said!